Pageviews past week

Sunday, December 28, 2014

I know, I know

I am well aware that it has been awhile since I posted last. Today is 3 days post Christmas and we are all getting over the flu. None of us, kids, hubby or myself, have eaten much since Tuesday. Today we finally showered and got out of the house. We only made it to church and back, but that was enough. We came home and all were hungry. My solution was onion soup. I knew it needed to be something not to heavy, as all of our tummies are very delicate right now.

I have always followed different recipes when making French onion soup, and have never used the same one twice.  I figured I had enough variations in my mind I could do one on my own without a recipe.

Here it goes. 4 red onions sliced into thin rings. Garlic. 1/2 cup real butter. Thyme.  Salt and pepper. Put this into a large pot and saute until golden and soft.  This took about 30 min.

I added 1 1/2 cup of white wine. Boiled it until the wine dissolved. Then removed the thyme stalks. It is kind of thick and pasty at this point.

I stirred in 1/4 cup of flour, and cooked it until the bitterness of the flour was gone. It got even thicker now.

Add in 8 cups of chicken stock and bring back to a boil. I then added two handfuls of mozzarella cheese. Then I turned heat down to medium and let slowly boil for about 15 minutes.

As this was finishing up I sliced french sandwich rolls into thin slices. Added garlic powder and topped with mozzarella cheese. These went into the oven on broil until it was golden brown.

By the time the rolls were done so was the soup. I put the soup into oven safe bowls for each of us. I floated a slice of cheese bread on top and covered with more mozzarella. These went back into the oven on broil for about 5 minutes until these cheese was golden. Took out and served.

It was so good. I think tomorrow it will have aged a bit to my benefit. It will only get better.

No comments:

Post a Comment