Pageviews past week

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Chicken tacos

Again it has been too long since my last post. Tonight I decided to make chicken tacos from scratch. In theory this was an easy project, in reality, not quite so much.

I started by making tortillas. That in itself was harder than I thought it would be. The cool part was once I had the tortillas made, I have lots of tortillas. I took 10 of the tortillas that I had already made, I wrapped each individually in a damp paper towel, then microwaved them for 30 seconds. Now they were all warm and soft.
I took the warm and soft tortillas and brush a very thin layer of extra virgin olive oil on both sides of the tortillas. Next I took out the top rack of my oven, and draped the warm and soft tortillas over two wires of the oven rack. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.


I baked the tortillas for 7 minutes at 375° F. Then took them out, rack and all, and set them over the sink too cool. The sink has a nice negative space so they could still drape while cooling.

Next I took chicken breasts and cut them up into little small pieces and boiled them in about a cup of white wine, white onions minced, and sprinkled with garlic salt. I put the lid on the pan and let it cook for about 5 minutes without flipping the chicken. After about 5 minutes I flipped the chicken an added just a little bit of beer, about 1/4 cup. I then put the lid back on the chicken and let it cook for about another 5 minutes. Then took the lid off and let it sauté a until all the juices and garlic and onions and the two alcohols dried up and caramelized. The chicken is done!

All that was left to do was to dice the tomatoes, lettuce, avocados, fresh chives from my garden, and shredded cheese to top the tacos with.

Because I draped the tortillas over two wires in the oven they had a nice flat bottom. We could fill them however we like without having to worry about them falling over. I have to say it was one of my better meals, but time consuming. That being said, I would definitely make them again.


No comments:

Post a Comment