Pageviews past week

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

No idea why this took so long!

Let me start by saying we're all sick here again. Thus, soup was in order. I decided to pull out my trusty old cookbook, and see what I could find.

I found a recipe for shrimp bisque soup. It sounded easy enough, and only had 6 ingredients. Even in my sick haze I can make this! I would need the help of the kids though.

Jasmine started on peeling the shrimp. Benjamin started on shelling the garlic. I was reading through the recipe and it called for two cans of tomato soup. I thought why use canned soup if I have lots of tomatoes here how hard could it be to make real tomato soup. Turns out not that hard!

Benjamin's job got rerouted to dicing 4 cups of tomatoes, as I diced 1 small onion. The tomato, onion, plus 2 cloves of garlic went into a large pot with 2 cups of chicken broth. Bring this to a boil and allow to boil for about 20 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft. Put it into a blender and blend it until smooth. In the same pot I add 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of flour. Cook this until it is a light brown color, then slowly pour in the blended tomatoes. That's it homemade tomato soup. I almost wanted to stop here because the soup was so good, but on I went.

Jasmine wanted to help again at this point. I let her continue on with the shrimp that she had finished peeling the shrimp and cubing.  She cooked the shrimp on a skillet with 1 tablespoon of butter and just a little bit of salt and pepper. She did this perfect. She has seasoning down! There is some shrimp juice, pour this off and save.

The soup went back in the stove. I added 1 cup of heavy cream and brought to a very low rolling boil. In a separate pan I had Jasmine boil 2 tablespoons of brandy. Once it boiled for 5 minutes we added it too the tomato bisque. Also add the shrimp juice. Turn to simmer for 5 minutes.

As we were finishing this Benjamin was making us some garlic parmesan bread. The bisque is put into a bowl then top with shrimp and chives. Really turned out amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment